Your Pathway to General Practice
The standard pathway to medical registration is suitable for most international medical graduates. In some cases you may be eligible for the competent authority pathway if you have held medical registration in the UK, Canada or New Zealand.
STEP 1: PREPARATION
These preparation tasks can be completed at your discretion without a job offer.
- OET/English Exam Minimum pass = B
- RACGP Experience Assessment Recommended
- Primary Source Verification of Qualifications Mandatory
- AMC Part 1 Multi-Choice Exam Mandatory
- AMC Part 2 Clinical Exam Highly Recommended
Time Frame: Determined by Doctor
Documents Required: AMC Identification Requirements – view
Step 2: PESCI INTERVIEW
A job offer is required to undertake the PESCI. Contact us to find a suitable position.
- Submit PESCI Application You Submit
- Receive Interview Date Notify Us
- Complete Australian Education Certificates^ Mandatory
- Australian Observership Mandatory
- Complete PESCI Interview
Results Returned: Approx. 2 Weeks
Documents Required: D1, D2, D7, D8, D12, D13
Step 3: IMMIGRATION PART 1
This step will be predominantly completed and submitted by your prospective employer following completion of Step 2.
- Submit VISA Nomination Employer Submission
Nomination Approval: 3-6 Weeks Avg.
Documents Required: D2, D11,
Step 4: AHPRA REGISTRATION
- Submit Application Employer Submission
- Receive ‘Approved In Principle’ Registration
- Present In Person To AHPRA No Appointment Required
Board Approval: 6 Weeks Minimum
Documents Required: D1 – 9, D11 – 13,
Step 5: IMMIGRATION PART 2
Step 4 AHPRA registration Approved in Principle is required prior to beginning Step 5
- Submit VISA Application Doctor Submission
Application Approval: 4-12 Weeks Avg.
Documents Required: D1-3, D7-8, D10, D12
Additional Requirements: Health Declaration, Immunisation Record, International Criminal History Check and Australian Education Certificates^.
Step 6: MEDICARE
Step 5 must be completed and a VISA issued prior to commencing with Step 6.
- Submit Provider Number Application Employer Submission
- Request Prescriber Number Included in above submission
- Submit Area of Need Materials (19AB) Employer Submission
- Submit 3GA Program Application (19AA) If applicable
Application Approval: 3-6 Weeks Avg.
Documents Required: D2, D15, D16
- Current CV
- Certified Copy of Passport
- Certified Copy of Primary Medical Degree
- Evidence of Internship
- Evidence of Additional Training
- Certificate of Registration Status
- AMC Results Documents Following Completion
- OET/English Exam Results Certificate Following Completion
- RACGP Experience Assessment
- PESCI Results Documents Following Completion
- Letter of Offer Provided
- GP Contract Provided
- Position Description Provided
- Supervised Practice Plan Provided
- AHPRA Registration Once Issued
- Working VISA Once Issued
Ready Set START
^Australian Education Certificates relates to the Mental Health, Cultural Awareness and Women’s Health Certificates required by medical practitioners. These education modules can be completed at any time prior to sitting for your PESCI interview. Learn more.